Monday 20 June 2016

Ramadan Iftar Ideas – Samosa/Sambosa

Ramadan Iftar Ideas – Samosa/Sambosa
Hello everybody, I am here with yet another favorite of our family. It is such a popular iftar item in every household and in many countries across the world. so it is samosa or sambosa which can be prepared with any filling of your choice or whatever is available in your pantry.
I am here to share with you people my take on the very popular samosa with a mixed filling ( veg & non-veg ). Everybody across my family loves it and I’m pretty sure you will love it too..


Starting off with the veggies I prefer to use carrots, beans, cabbage and bell peppers. Now you can customize it according to your taste. I have been making sambosas with these veggies for years now and I do swear by the taste.

Keeping it very simple we just have to start by heating up 2-3 tablespoons of oil. Drop in the beans and carrots. Sauté it for a while and add in salt. So that it fastens the cooking up of the veggies. For the flavours add in coriander powder, some sought of meat masala (be it mutton or chicken really doesn’t matter), red chilli powder ( I used garlic infused chilli powder which I bought from a local store) and a pinch of nutmeg and mace pounded and made into powder.


After the spices are well combined with beans and carrots add in a bit of water and cook it on medium heat for about 10 mins. Remember not to add in lots of water. Once the veggies have cooked through add in the cabbage and bell peppers and let it simmer for about 5 mins. We don’t want the bell peppers and cabbage to cook thoroughly. We want them to be crunchy yet flavorful.


For the non-veg part, I prepared the regular minced meat as it is done in regular Indian-cum-hyderabadi households (kheema). Cooking the minced meat with onion and basic spices and topping it off with cilantro.



Then we complete the filling for our samosa by combining the veggies and the kheema and simmering it for another 5 mins until all the flavours are well combined.

Now coming on to the pastry sheets we can either make it at home or get it from a store. Store bought pastry sheets are lot easier to handle and give good results. I prefer using the switz pastry sheets which are probably available at any local store.




I hope this was of some help to you guys. see you again with yet an other idea for iftar in Ramadan.
                                                              Amal ansari
                                                             xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment